scroll for more
Project Profile: The District Detroit
After years of empty promises and planning (beginning in 2014), the Stephen Ross and Ilitch family-led development christened “The District Detroit” will soon begin formally constructing a series of luxury hotels, mixed-use apartments, and office buildings in north Downtown. With a price tag of about $1.5 billion, it has been billed as a dynamic catalyst in the rejuvenation of Detroit’s economy and physical landscape. However, as we have learned with previous big corporate developments of this kind, “all that glitters ain’t gold”.
- The total public investment requested is $797.75 Million. (1)
- Over the next 35 years, the revenue and Tax loss related to the District Detroit will be $226.8M For Schools and $5.7M for libraries. (1)
- In 2018, Ilitch Holdings total combined revenue was $3.8 billion and according to Forbes magazine, Ross has a net worth of $7.6 billion in 2020. (2),(3)
- Like Ilitch and Olympia in Detroit, Ross and Related are known as bad landlords and bad neighbors in markets across the US. (4), (5)
- Ilitch/Ross are attempting to claim $172M in benefits when they are only directly contributing $12 Million. (6)
- The developers offered a Quarter of a Million Dollar donation to the Detroit Public Library and the Neighborhood Advisory Council (NAC) leaders Chris Jackson and Wayne County Commissioner Jonathan Kinloch TOLD THEM THEY DIDN’T WANT IT. (7)
- Library Donation Giveback https://youtu.be/W-MY2MwpsYw
- Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority: Board Member and Ilitch/Ross Reps on Library Donation Giveback https://youtube.com/shorts/6w2WZzthl8o?feature=share
Project Profile: The District Detroit
People’s Platform NEWS
Our latest posts. Keep up with Detroit People’s Platform
The District Detroit and the Call for Equitable Development
March 21, 2023
The District Detroit and the Call for Equitable Development The District Detroit is a new development project designed to create an urban work, tech and entertainment space in the heart…
Everybody’s getting rich in Detroit except for Detroiters
February 23, 2023
Everybody’s getting rich in Detroit except for Detroiters Don’t believe the fake news: Detroit is not broke! Its budget is one of the largest in the U.S. at $2.6 billion…
DPP stands in solidarity with Hubbard Richard residents!
February 17, 2023
Detroit People’s Platform stand in solidarity with Hubbard Richard residents organizing to demand a legally binding Community Benefits Agreement. Detroit City Council is considering the transfer of publicly-owned land to…
District Detroit Action
February 14, 2023
“We come together in opposition to the public funding of The District Detroit!” CALL TO ACTION Join us outside Cass Tech on Tuesday, Feb 14 from 5-6pm. We will gather…
Budget Justice – The City Is collecting our money to spend
February 10, 2023
The City is Collecting Our Money to Spend: See How Much The City of Detroit will be holding its February Revenue Estimating Conference on Monday, February, 13th at 1:00pm. This…
Detroit People’s Platform Statement on the DBRA District Detroit vote
February 9, 2023
Detroit People’s Platform Statement on the DBRA District Detroit vote In the absence of due diligence, the DBRA Board sign off on $616M in tax incentives for up to 35…
Detroit People’s Platform strives to protect, maintain & empower majority Black Detroit in the face of efforts to re-engineer the nation’s largest Black city. Learn more about our work for Good Governance, Economic Justice, Transit Justice, Housing Justice and The Commons in Detroit.
Without the strong leadership and commitment of our long-standing Community Partners we would not be able to build movement. We work with Brightmoor Connection, Jefferson Chalmers Community Advocates and other neighborhood groups who are willing to stand up to the status quo and fight for Majority Black Detroit.
Stay Up to Date
Join our mailing list and stay up-to-date on all the events and activities at the Detroit People’s Platform.