Eviction Moratorium Extended! Now expires June 30,2021
To help people stay in stable housing during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an order that means you may be protected from eviction through June 30, 2021. If you have questions concerning qualifying for eviction protection under the CDC order call (800) 569-4287. This site may be helpful for more details: https://www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus/mortgage-and-housing-assistance/renter-protections/cdc-eviction-protections/
1. Any action by a landlord, owner of a residential property, or other person with a legal right to pursue eviction or a possessory action, to remove or cause the removal of a covered person from a residential property.”
2. Does not prevent landlords from starting eviction proceedings, Yet actual eviction cannot take place during the period of the Order.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
1. If you signed & completed a declaration statement previously, you are still covered under this extension.
2. Evictions for nonpayment of rent, initiated but not completed before Sept 4, 2020 is covered under this order.
3. Evictions for nonpayment, that was completed before September 4, 2020 are not subject to this order, and renters/tenants can be evicted.
4. Tenants cannot be evicted for the sole basis that they are alleged to have committed a crime where the underlying activity is a covered person remaining in a residential property despite nonpayment of rent. ex: trespassing
5. Tenants that are confirmed to have, who are exposed to, or who might have covid19 cannot be evicted because they pose a health and safety risk to others.
APPLICATION - HOW TO USE STEPS:
1. Apply 2 ways: create a letter, write the reason you qualify, sign it and submit the original to the company or landlord you rent from.
2. Or complete the Eviction Protection Declaration:
a. Send to landlord electronically or hard copy. **if sending hard copy keep proof. Consider using certified mailing.